Asia, Malaysia

Malaysia II Day 12: KK – Bali

It was another chill day in Kota Kinabalu with some fresh roti canai downstairs for breakfast many thanks for our aunty who is always keeping us well-fed. After some packing for Bali, it was time for lunch again. This time, authentic Indian Malay food at the Fish Head restaurant. We, of course, has to order the fish head curry. In addition, we also ordered some roti and naan to add to the carb load and some lamb curry, fried quail, along with an array of chutneys and side dishes for flavour. This is also served on top of a banana leaf as the “plate”, soaking up the banana leaf taste as you eat (can’t really taste it really). The meal came along with the famous Malaysian Teh Tarik but I also ordered a refreshing cold Kit Chai (lime juice with preserved prune). They also served mango lassi here but there was no more space in my stomach for this yogurty drink. We then head home again for some last minute workout, packing and chilling, literally, in the ac’d house before heading off to the airport. 

The airport was jam packed as there were many bottlenecks to the checking-in and boarding process. The checked-in bags needed to be screened. Then the passengers and cabin baggage had to go through security twice. Our plane was delayed so we had some tea at Starbucks. I had a black tea latte there and was saddened by the fact that it’s 7 times the price of Teh Tarik in town and was not as tasty. After a short 3 hour flight. We arrive at the new Bali airport. Apparently, there was a super rundown one with crazy line ups for visas and no AC, which is now only serving domestic flights. This time, the visa was waived (at least for us), so the process was relatively smooth. Our driver from the villa was already waiting outside the airport for a while now, since the flight was delayed. He was very courteous and we arrive in the hustle and bustle of Semniyak Square in no time. 

Our gorgeous and peaceful Tis Villa was located very close to here but was far enough away to be a nice and quiet retreat. We were greeted by Budi, the main staff at the villa. Our dinner was already prepared and on the table waiting for us for a while now. We had previously requested this because we knew we had a late flight and did not want to scramble to find food around the villa. The villa was very accommodating. We quickly took a tour of the whole place then stuffed our faces in local delights – corn soup, sweet and sour fish, beef rendang, chicken curry, papaya salad, stir-fried vegetables and ended with papaya and watermelon slices. The food was good but a bit cold since it has been sitting out so long due to our delayed flight. It was a filling meal though and we had leftovers even though the meal was meant for 5 people but we had a last minute addition of one more guest. By the time we were done dinner, it was time to get ready to wind down in preparation for our adventures tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.